It's trendy, it's pretty, it's popping up in cafes and coffee shops everywhere...but what exactly is Matcha? And what's the deal?
We'll give you the rundown here.
What is Matcha?
Matcha is a type of green tea, but it's not your average green tea. Matcha is made from ground green tea leaves, so instead of brewing the tea leaf and drinking the extraction, you are quite literally drinking the tea leaf. Hence, Matcha is packed with good stuff, which we will get into a bit later.
Like all tea (Black, White, Green), Matcha comes from the Camellia sinensis plant. However, the leaves used to make matcha are grown in the shade. Farmers actually cover their plants about a month before they harvest them, which increases the chlorophyll and amino acid content and also gives it that "matcha green" that has become so "insta-famous".
When the leaves are harvested, the stems and veins are removed, and then they are powdered and whisked into your beverages.
So, what's the hype?
It's delicious (we love a matcha latte), but it's also packed with benefits.
1. It's loaded with antioxidants. Some reports say is actually has up to 167x more antioxidants than traditional Green Tea.
2. Caffeine boost! Most matcha has about the same caffeine content as a cup of coffee, but many people say they don't have the same "crash" or jitters they do when they drink a cup-a-joe.
3. Stress relief. Studies suggest that the same substance that helps you avoid that caffeine crash, l-theanine, also helps to calm your mind and induces relaxation without sleepiness.
4. You may get a little detox. The elevated levels of chlorophyll in matcha may help the body eliminate chemicals.
5. That youthful glow. Matcha may help reduce inflammation and fight free radicals, which are linked to aging.
6. Rev up your metabolism. Some studies suggest it may boost your metabolism. What a way to kick start the day!
So it makes a mean latte, it's very photogenic, and it's also packed with good stuff. Why not swap your cuppa joe for a cuppa matcha once in awhile? We'll join you!
And if you're looking for a little extra spike...
Now you can with our very own Matcha Boozy Tea which is made with organic matcha tea, organic chamomile tea and sweetened with pineapple juice!
Ta-da! Your Boozy Brunch just got a whole lot greener!
Drink Wise & Enjoy!
The Owl's Brew Crew